Monday 12 November 2007

The compost bean so far...

On Monday 29th October I put my bean into soak for 24hours. Exactly 24 hours later it was time to place my bean into a pot of damp compost and place it on my windowsill. It has sat there ever since making gradual progress over time. I continued to monitor the bean each day, adding water when necessary to make sure that the compost stayed damp. The first signs that it was developing was a few days later when I started to see roots growing. Then, on the 3rd November the bean’s shoot broke through the surface of the compost (picture A). It started as only 7mm out from the soil but as the days went on it quickly grew. I took my next picture the following day (picture B) and it now stood 2cm tall. I also tried to take a picture of the root network which was also making rapid progress (the picture did not come out very clearly though due to reflection (picture C). I then took another picture on 6th November (picture D), which shows that it has again grown and now stands at 3cm tall. The final photo taken so far was on 11th November (picture E) where it now stands 6cm tall. I have also taken a picture from above the bean to show how the leaves have opened out (picture F).

Picture A: Picture B:


Picture C: Picture D:


Picture E: Picture F:












No comments: